Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Six Traits +1 evaluation

Six Traits +1 of Writing:

Chris Crutcher does an extremely well-done job in Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes, using the Six +1 traits of writing. Obviously traits such as organization and presentation are followed to the T in his novels, because they are published. His ideas and content, although a little controversial, are amazing. He brings up issues such as abortion and child abuse that most people would tend to avoid writing about. Not only does he bring up these issues but he also discusses them thoroughly throughout the novel. He gives you both sides of the story and makes sure you know exactly where he stands too.
Just like his ideas Crutcher’s voice is incredible and unique. He shares his honest opinion and gives hints about his teenage years. Things like Eric being on the swim team and having classes that discuss issues in school are all things he most likely went through as a young man. Also, Crutcher’s word choice is extremely descriptive and real. For example, when Eric is running from Virgil Byrnes he says, “The headlights cast my eerie blurred shadow in front me, as I push my exhausted frame down the middle of the street before cutting to the sidewalk. I glance desperately around for an alley, any place I can cut into the neighborhood to get off the street, and run straight down the sidewalk with one eye on the driver’s side door, knowing if he jumps out I’ll leave him in the dust. If he doesn’t drive up on the sidewalk to pick me off, I’ll be safe until I get downtown.” (Crutcher prologue). He uses slang and even a few curse words thrown in. These words make the plot more believable to the reader and pull them in. Finally the Crutcher’s sentence fluency is obviously well written. The sentences flow from one to the other just like a young man or woman actually speaks. Again, using slang and even cuss words made it that much more believable for the audience.

No comments: